There were 15.4 million layoffs in the United States in 2022, and 28% of Americans have been laid off in the past two years alone. Western Digital employees should be aware that employers continue to lay off large numbers of workers.
With 20 million manufacturing jobs predicted to be lost to automation by 2030, 37% of Americans are concerned about being replaced by artificial intelligence. In addition, automation has the potential to eliminate 73 million jobs in the United States by 2030, which would represent a staggering 46% of the current workforce. Taking this into account, Western Digital employees who are becoming increasingly anxious about their job security should not feel alone. Approximately 48 percent of Americans experience job loss anxiety.
In a Forbes article, Dr. Gregg Jantz, founder of the counseling and treatment center A Place of Hope, and the best-selling author of The Anxiety Reset Continued claims that after death, job loss is one of life’s most stressful events. ‘People feel a betrayal of trust, particularly when the job loss is unexpected.’ It’s so distressing.’
As more headlines about tech industry layoffs appear in the news, it can become difficult for Western Digital employees to control their emotions. According to Dr. Jantz, the typical reaction to betrayal is rage. The feeling that the employer did not respect or value you is a sense of injustice. People become extremely upset when they believe their employer does not value their efforts. You desire vengeance, retaliation, and revenge against those you believe have wronged you. In addition to the rising number of layoffs, Dr. Jantz asserts, ‘Our country is in the midst of a mental health crisis.’ The leading diagnosis in the United States is anxiety, followed by depression. When a person loses his or her job, these emotions intensify. It is important to remember that 40% of Americans have been laid off or fired at least once during these times. While this may not solve your problem, you may find solace in the fact that others have endured a similar circumstance. Recognizing these emotions and refraining from acting impulsively is vital to your health.
Chart on Employee Concerns with Layoffs
Data from https://www.comparably.com/
What Not To Do When Being Laid Off
- Don’t Leave Without Saving Critical Documents It is advisable to regularly save documents of personal or professional interest from your work computer. Some employers will escort terminated employees off the premises or immediately restrict their access. You must ensure that no important information is left behind.
- Don’t Discuss Termination Before Taking Time to Process When laid off, you may experience anger and stress. Communicating with management while experiencing these emotions could be detrimental to your objectives. Request a meeting in two days to have this discussion. In the interim, investigate the company’s policies and practices so that, if possible, you are prepared to negotiate a reasonable severance package. Assuming you’re unable to delay a decision on a severance package if it’s offered, you should consider the terms and whether it’s worth negotiating to get a more comprehensive package.
Articles you may find interesting:
Don’t Refuse to Help With the Transition By facilitating a seamless transition, you will be remembered as a superior employee and may receive favorable referrals and recommendations. Even when you’re in a bad situation, being kind will benefit you in the long run. At the very least, you will have made an honest effort to assist your employer, which could result in a favorable reference.
- Don’t Ignore the Opportunity to Resign In some cases, resignation may be an alternative to termination. There are pros and cons to resigning instead of being terminated. You may forfeit unemployment benefits if you resign, but in certain circumstances you can save face. During job interviews, you will not be required to discuss being fired, which can be challenging.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Request a Reference If you have supportive coworkers, ask them for a recommendation while you are in close contact with them. You can benefit from their recommendation when searching for your next position.
- Do Not Miss the Opportunity to Ask Why If your employer has not followed company policy regarding due process, you may be able to petition human resources for additional time to rectify your deficiencies. You may also be protected by an employment contract, union contract, or anti-discrimination statute.
- Don’t Quit Without Investigating Other Positions at the Company If your superiors perceive you as an employee with a positive attitude and a strong work ethic, there may be additional opportunities available to you within the organization. If your employer learns you are open to other roles, they may consider you for positions that are a better fit for your skills.
- Don’t Announce Your Firing Immediately Take the time to consider your message and how you’d like to be perceived by colleagues and other professional contacts before announcing that you’ve lost your job.
Factors to Consider
If a hypothetical Western Digital employee were to be laid off, it can be a difficult issue to face. Transitions can be challenging, with negative emotions intensifying and diminishing productivity. Those who have lost their jobs frequently experience feelings of uncontrollable fear, negative self-perception, and self-devaluation. While you have the right to experience these emotions, you must be mindful and cautious not to let them control you. Giving these types of thoughts too much weight may prevent you from progressing toward a better future and lead you to do something you may later regret. It is imperative not to vent on social media about your former employer immediately after being fired. For Western Digital employees, even if they are mistaken, you have much more to lose. Giving yourself 24 hours will give you time to lessen the intensity of your emotions. You will become a victim if you allow yourself to be overcome by rage and send nasty emails, which will hinder your future job search. In addition, if you express anger and feelings of betrayal, you may appear to be at fault, which is extremely counterproductive in an interview setting.
Western Digital employees may also benefit from carefully choosing their words and only sharing them with trusted parties. ‘Be mindful of what you do to the people around you, such as venting continuously, being irritable, and projecting your anger onto others. You are addressing it to your loved ones, even though they had nothing to do with this event. This is not how you should express your emotions.’ Dr. Jantz gave advice.
Adaptation Strategies for Western Digital Employees
It is essential for Western Digital employees with overwhelming emotions to practice good self-care and be resilient. When confronted with anger, contributing positively to your nutrition, sleep, and physical routine may prove beneficial. Walking, working out, and exercising are all methods of anger management. In addition, writing down your emotions, avoiding self-destructive behavior, and realizing that you cannot punish yourself for what has occurred are additional ways to manage these intense negative emotions. One must also reconsider and reevaluate what must be done to strengthen and improve health. Those who formerly worked for Western Digital are more likely to exhibit depressive symptoms if they isolate, remain indoors constantly and withdraw.
While it’s important for Western Digital employees to view their work as part of their identity, it’s risky to make it your sole identity. According to a study published in the journal Frontiers of Psychology, individuals who reduced themselves to their job felt dehumanized, like a machine or a tool, and had higher levels of disengagement, depression, and burnout. In light of this, Western Digital employees may benefit from understanding the concept of self complexity. Self-complexity reflects the variety of characteristics that comprise the significant facets of who you are. The more complex your personality, the more resilient you are. Therefore, it is essential to consider diversifying your sense of self, just as you would your finances. You can create self-complexity and diversify your identity by investing in various aspects of your life. Thus, when things are not going well at work, you will not lose all sense of self. You may decide to devote time to your hobbies, spirituality, or health. Western Digital employees may mitigate feelings of depression and anxiety following a layoff if they are resilient and persistently strive for excellence. It is essential to ask oneself, ‘Am I filled with anger and resentment? Have fear and anxiety taken over my life?’ Utilize positive reassurance to accept that there is nothing wrong with you and that you are simply going through a difficult transition in life.
https://www.zippia.com/advice/automation-and-job-loss-statistics/ https://hbr.org/2022/09/how-to-deal-with-layoff-anxiety https://www.thebalancemoney.com/top-things-not-to-say-or-do-if-you-re-fired-2063942